Have you ever puzzled how some individuals know you’re online despite the fact that you claim you’ve to Turn off Online Status on Facebook? No, you’re not insane; there’s a simple solution to the problem of two contradicting settings.
Many people are unaware that if you wish to seem offline at all times, you must deal with two separate online status settings. The “Active Status” option is not just available in the Facebook Messenger app, but it is also available in the main Facebook app. It’s stashed away inside the settings sub-menu, making it easy to overlook for the average app user.
Most chat programs, such as Instagram and WhatsApp, let you switch between active and inactive modes instantaneously. This isn’t the situation with Facebook, where you’ll have to go through a series of steps before you can turn off your active status.
Being able to make yourself invisible to some or all of your connections is quite useful for managing your online presence. It also helps you to focus on social media browsing with fewer interruptions. This article will teach you how to disable active status on Facebook on several platforms.
Table of Contents
- Why Should You Disable Your Active Status?
- How to Turn off Online Status on Facebook in a Web Browser
- How to Turn off Online Status on Facebook Messenger Mobile App
- How to Turn off Online Status on Facebook Mobile App
- Bringing things to a close
Why Should You Disable Your Active Status?
When some individuals go online, they profit from becoming briefly invisible on Facebook. After all, people use Facebook in a variety of ways, and some seek more privacy than others. Meanwhile, some people don’t want their Facebook friends or particular users to know they’re currently signed in.
If you turn off your online status on Facebook Messenger, your friends or chosen contacts won’t be able to see when you were last online. Turning off the status, however, prohibits you from knowing when your friends or contacts were last active. Also, you can schedule your Facebook posts.
For most of your less tech-savvy Facebook pals, the most difficult step is finding this option on their user menu. The active status option is located in a less obvious area, but after you’ve read our tutorial, you’ll find it straightforward to access.
How to Turn off Online Status on Facebook in a Web Browser
To hide your active status on Facebook and seem offline, follow these steps:
1. If you haven’t already, open Facebook in a browser and sign in.
2. In the upper right, select the circular Messenger symbol.
3. Select the three-dot icon at the top of the Messenger drop-down menu.
4. In the drop-down option, select Turn off Active Status.
5. A pop-up will display, asking if you want to turn off Active Status for all contacts, all contacts except, or for select contacts. When you choose one of the last two choices, a box will open where you may type in the names of individual persons.
6. Choose who you wish to keep informed about your active status.
7. When you’re finished, click OK.
How to Turn off Online Status on Facebook Messenger Mobile App
1. Go to your phone’s app store and download the Facebook Messenger app.
2. Tap your profile’s avatar in the top-left corner of the screen from the main Chats page.
3. Tap Active Status.
4. Turn off Show when you’re active by moving the slider to the left and then confirm by tapping Turn Off in the pop-up.
How to Turn off Online Status on Facebook Mobile App
1. Go to your phone’s Facebook app and open it.
2. On Android, tap the three horizontal lines in the top-right corner; on iPhone, click the three horizontal lines in the bottom-right corner.
3. Select Settings & Privacy, followed by Settings.
4. In the Privacy section, tap Active Status.
5. Turn off the computer. Move the slider to the left to show when you’re active, then hit Turn Off in the pop-up to confirm.
Some Reminders About Turning Off Your Facebook Active Status
There are benefits and drawbacks to hiding your online status and becoming invisible to certain of your Facebook friends. It’s an excellent strategy to keep people from contacting you so you can focus on other Facebook activities.
However, if you are idle on the platform, it is possible that some individuals would not approach you right away.
There are several things to remember when it comes to turning off your online status:
- Using the app or browser to disable your active status on Facebook has no effect on your active status on Messenger. As a result, you must also log in to Facebook Messenger and disable your active status there.
- Your active status on the online version will not be disabled if you turn invisible on the Facebook app. As a result, you must also disable your status while signing in to a browser.
- Hide your active status relates just to the device or app you’re currently using.
As a result, if you want to be invisible on all of your devices, log in with each one separately and turn off your active status on each desktop, smartphone, or tablet.
Turning off your active status will not completely conceal you.
At some time, we’ve all wished to hide our active status from our Facebook friends or certain contacts. While everyone has their own motivations for doing so, keep in mind that turning off your active status does not make you completely invisible.
Even if you disable your active status, there are a number of methods for others to determine whether you are online or not. For example, individuals may still look at your previous activity or post updates to figure out your current state.
Bringing things to a close
If you spend a lot of time on Facebook and Messenger, whether in the applications or online, you might want to turn off the Active Status feature. Allow yourself to spend as much time as you like exploring and reading without getting distracted by a simple status update.
When you’re ready to get online again, repeat the process and turn on the Active Status button.