Collagen is something that we hear about a lot. We see it in beauty magazines and commercials, but what does collagen do for your skin? It’s actually the secret to the longevity of your skin! Collagen is a protein that helps keep our skin moisturized and firm. When we age or have poor dieting habits, the amount of collagen in our bodies decreases. This can result in wrinkles, dryness, sagging…the list goes on. The good news is there are plenty of ways you can add more collagen to your life and get those anti-aging benefits! In this blog post, I’ll be discussing some great ways you can increase your intake of collagen, as well as some lifestyle changes that will help give you the anti-aging benefits.
What are Collagen and the benefits for your skin?
Collagen is the most abundant protein found in mammalian tissues, including your skin. As the main component of connective tissue, 25% of your skin is made up of collagen. It absorbs water to keep your skin moisturized and firm.
Collagen is also referred to as the “Cinderella Phenomenon” because it’s beneficial for many things!
Benefits of Collagen:
- Reduces the appearance of the wrinkles on your skin
- Fights off signs of aging like dryness, sagging, and redness
- Enhances elasticity to keep those pesky lines at bay (especially helpful for moms still nursing!)
- Provides long-lasting hydration
- Increases your hair thickness and volume (hallelujah!)
- Helps with muscle recovery after exercise or sports-related injuries
- Great for getting rid of cellulite and stretch marks!
- It helps skin cells regenerate so that your complexion is glowing
- Supports the production of new collagen for a plumper, firmer appearance
How to increase intake of collagen & lifestyle changes that can help you get the anti-aging benefits of it
– Consume more high-quality protein like fish, poultry, and beef
– Try adding more high-quality protein to your diet by incorporating healthy foods such as eggs or yogurt.
– Drink enough water! You should be drinking about eight glasses of water every day. Hydration is vital for anti-aging benefits.
– Get some exercise at least three times a week.
– Put on some sunscreen every day. The sun’s rays can make you age faster than anything!
– Get enough zzz’s Sleep helps your body recuperate and rejuvenate skin cells, so it’s essential to get enough sleep
Lifestyle Changes That Will Help Give You the Anti Aging Benefits:
– Drink less alcohol. Alcohol can lead to an increase in wrinkles!
– Be sure to take care of your skin and wear sunscreen every day, even when you’re inside (or just be mindful of the light that is streaming through your windows)!
The secret to skin longevity might be collagen. With the help of a skilled medical professional, you can find out if your body is lacking in this essential protein and supplement accordingly with either oral or topical treatments. If you are already consuming enough food sources high in collagen-like bone broth, fermented foods like kimchi or sauerkraut, gelatinous meats such as beef stews, and soups made from bones-in cuts that yield more marrow when cooked than boneless versions of these dishes, then try making some lifestyle changes for lasting results!